Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Waiting on God

Waiting...I don't think it is something anyone enjoys. As a mom to three preschoolers, I find myself asking them to wait often. "Preston, it is Cara's turn right now. I'm feeding her. I need you to wait just a few minutes and I'll be done. Then it will be your turn and I can get you a snack." "Clint, I know you want to play with the toy Preston has, but I need you to wait a few minutes for your turn." "Boys, I am cooking dinner right now. I need you to read a book while you wait." And so on and so on...

We've been doing a lot of waiting the past few months. Many of you already know Chris stepped down as Pastor of CWOW in the beginning of September. It was a very difficult decision to make. After praying and asking God for clarity throughout the summer, we felt for sure God was asking Chris to step down. So, with very sad hearts, we took action. It is hard to step out in obedience not knowing where God is leading. We had no clue what was next. We took comfort in knowing its God's plan and that He knows every step of the way. So, with peace from God, and trusting in His character, we began to wait for Him to reveal our next step. I will add that unemployment is not fun. Satan felt the need to throw many many distractions our way: health problems, rental property problems, truck problems, and so much more. I could write a whole blog just about things that were not going our way. But, God was right there with us even through all of that, and we clung to him like peanut butter on bread...and waited...and we prayed...and we waited.

Chris' first job offer actually came quickly. It was a parts manager position at Red River Pumps in Shreveport, LA. Chris would have the task of learning the pump business and then be given the freedom to branch out in helping the owner grow the business. While this job was extremely attractive in so many ways, it would be a huge decision to step out of full time ministry. Chris and I never had a peace about it. After a great deal of prayer and a confirmation from God Chris decided to turn down the position. God had renewed our call to ministry and we were absolutely certain that it would remain in a full time capacity.

We had several other churches express an interest in pursuing Chris. They were all across the country and some were more interesting and seemed a better match for Chris' gifting, education, and experience. We continued to hurry up and wait some more allowing God to do his work in guiding us where we were to minister next. Many of the churches decided to pursue other candidates, and we waited some more knowing God's best was at the end of waiting.

It was during this time that God began turning our hearts north to Galena, Alaska. Chris' brother Jason and his family have lived there for about 12 years, and we have been out to visit several times. Over the coarse of our married lives we have joked about, and at times seriously considered, doing ministry in this remote Alaskan village. There is one protestant church in Galena, the Galena Bible Church, and it has been without a pastor for over two years. While Chris was moose hunting this past September, he had the opportunity to preach at the church one Sunday. He was struck afresh with the immense Spiritual needs that are present in the community. Galena has a population of just over 500 and just over 200 of those are high school students that attend a boarding school in Galena. These students represent 70 villages from across the state, most of which do not have a church in them at all. We began to talk to the church council about the church voting on and calling us as their pastor. We went through several interviews to see if the council thought we would be a good fit for village life, and if we would be a good fit for their church culture. On November 28th the church membership voted unanimously to call Chris as their pastor, confirming what we had already felt God impressing on our hearts.

We are in the process of selling our home, vehicles, and most of our possessions, as well as working to raise support as missionaries because the church is too small to be able to pay a pastor. We are anticipating beginning this adventure on January 10th by flying to Anchorage, Alaska. We will be buying our groceries and snow gear there and then flying out to Galena (there are no roads that connect to Galena) on or before the 21st of January.

So, thanks to all who have been praying with us during this time. Along the way we've received many kind words and encouragement, and it is very much appreciated. Please continue to pray with us as we have so many things to do before we fly to Galena.

Love to you all,
Shell & Chris

6 comments:

Bill McDonald said...

Wow, and God Bless You. What an awesome call, with Brenda running around the state you should have lots of student support.

Keep us posted....blogged.

Bill and Kathy

dontspamjay said...

Good luck with the move. We plan to come visit once the kids are a little older.

Anonymous said...

Same here, as soon as my kids are older I'll be there! JK.. I do want to fly up soon. Looks like I'll be getting back on Skype so I can see yall. Sounds like a fun adventure.. yall will do fine.

Jon

Debbie and Mike said...

Hope you can keep your sanity trying to get everything ready to move. I am sure you are thinking of every last little thing that has to be done and then some. I know ya'll are excited. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

WOW, I had no idea. Good luck and God bless you guys as you begin this new adventure. I am sure you will do great. Elaine/NanE

Anonymous said...

We still hate to see you go so far away and will really miss you but we will be praying for God's will and His protection and care. Love Nonna&Papa