Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Faster and Sneakier








Howdee-doo


Well, as the title implies, Preston is becoming faster and sneakier. We've had many adventures lately, so many that I cannot remember all of them. I guess I can just share some highlights, since I know some of you really enjoy hearing his stories. We were having a lovely time at Chick-fil-A... Preston was playing in the play area while I was feeding Clint his baby food. As I watched Preston playing I was so proud because he was being very good. However, when I went to retrieve him and head home, a bold lady approached me and informed me Preston had escaped out the emergency exit and into the parking lot 3 times. Another lady had rescued him and brought him back inside. Interesting that I missed all of this and that the alarms did not go off. Anywho, I was embarrassed and upset so we left immediately. Chris and I were talking later about the incident and we're feeling pretty thankful for God's grace and protection on our little ones, especially Preston who seems to be more mischevious than others.




Preston has also discovered a fascinating little knob on the hot water heater (it adjusts the temperature). He enjoys turning it whenever he can, having no idea the results of his curious actions. Seriously, he is getting so fast and sneaky that I often discover he's done it about the time scalding water is coming through my kitchen faucet. I once was pretty good about catching him when he was getting into things. Many of you are probably wondering how he gains access to the water heater. It is in the laundry room next to the dryer. He has also learned the hard way, that sunscreen is not supposed to go in your eyes. We've had the new mist spray sunscreen this summer, and he has been warned all summer not to squirt it, but this time he was faster and sneakier than ever. Seriously as we were walking to the front door to leave, he spotted it on the microwave, runs and climbs to grab it. Squirts it first thing on his face. The burning was short lived, thankfully.




He's decided its fun to play with Clint, he's just having a hard time understanding what is too rough for Clint. They were both playing peacefully in his room one night, when I heard Clint start screaming. As I enter the room I see Clint, well I see his feet, in a plastic tub we use for toys. Preston had dumped the toys and placed his brother inside instead. Clint was laying on his back with arms and legs sticking out the top. Preston means well, but knows the action is wrong the minute Clint cries or I say something. He'll figure it out soon enough, and hopefully Clint will survive the transition. Oh goodness.
On to other things... we've begun our weekly trips to the library again. Clint is old enough to ride comfortably in the stroller, and I'm working with Preston on staying near me and holding onto the stroller while we're out. He's doing pretty good, and the library is a good place to practice. (Sometimes, he just gets too excited though and cannot control his impulses.) He's recently gotten into Dr. Seuss books, so we checked out a bunch of those.




Preston has begun putting things in places they shouldn't be, like small objects from our friend's houses in his pockets. I've found interesting things that do not belong to us in our washer lately and tried to match the object to the correct friend and return them. I'm going to start patting him down before we leave places.




Clint is crawling now, but he's still doing a slow paced crawl. He thinks he can pull up on everything now too, so he's got lots of bumps and bruises to go along with learning that skill. At his 6 month check up he weighed in at 16 lb 11 oz and measured 28 inches long. They've come up with a new combo shot that combines several vaccines so he only had 2 shots this time. That was nice. He's also babbling now, saying his Ba ba bas and Da da das. And still no teeth yet, although that does not stop him from begging for our table food. He'll get some soon enough. He's still super sweet, and extremely happy. Some of Preston's cutest phrases concerning Clint are, "I wuv my bruver" "Aaw, Quint's a sweet boy" "Dat's my baby bruver" and "I wuv you too, Quint".

We only have 3 1/2 weeks until we're in the Community Center. Oh, we can't wait! Pray that as the weeks wind down, last minute preparations can be completed on time and inspections will be passed.

Hope you have a good day!
Shell

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got your hands full with Preston. Maybe Clint will be your calm child. Mine are opposites that way. Miss you guys!

dontspamjay said...

Make sure the things Preston puts in his pockets are particularly valuable...

Anonymous said...

It's easy for those of us who aren't living with him daily, to get a kick out of his exploits. Ha! Hang in there - he's just curious, Mom. Easy for me to say, huh?
Mrs. Carolyn

Debbie and Mike said...

Two days ago and daily before that after you told me about some of these things on the phone I started checking for a new post. I didn't check yesterday as I was out with Aunt Pam all day long. Jay came over and asked if I had checked lately. He again was proud he beat me at seeing it first. We do have a little competition going on this. As always they are great pics and the stories are very entertaining. Preston is just too smart and never ever question his fine motor skills. LOL!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

We are worried about Preston & the hot water heater. If you can't keep him out of the laundry room can Chris take the knob off so he can't turn it up so high? Enjoyed the pictures and stories as usual. Love Nonna&Papa

Anonymous said...

Boy, do you have your hands full. It reminds me of the days when my two boys were little and into everything!!! I can tell you from experience, IT WILL GET BETTER...you just have to live thru it! LOL Great post as always and very cute pictures of very cute boys. Give them a kiss for me. Love, Elaine (Nan E)