Once upon a time, as in last Saturday morning, Chris, Preston, Clint, and Sam went Grouse hunting while Cara and I stayed home. I was so looking forward to accomplishing many things with only one cute small child to care for. First on my list, put Chicken Taco Soup in the crock pot, and enjoy the aromas all day while dinner is cooking itself allowing me to do lots of other to-dos on my list like tackle the dirty clothes monster in my room.
So Cara and I run down stairs, okay I run and she scoots, to get some chicken and cheese out of the freezer. The freezer is conveniently located out in the arctic entry. I sneak out before Cara can follow mostly because we are both still in pjs and its cold outside. I quickly gather the things I need and rush to get back in where its warm only to find my gorgeous, sweet, smart, and curious little girl has locked me out. That's right, turned the dead bolt. I'm thinking surely this can't be happening. I try to explain to her how to turn the lock back. The response I hear is giggles, knocking on the door, and 'Mommy?'. I try telling her she can play outside if she can open the door for Mommy. She didn't like this because she would love to play outside. Apparently she knows how to turn the lock only one way. I run around to our other door on the deck just hoping for once I forgot to lock that door. Nope. Tightly secured. I peer in the window and don't see Cara anywhere. I search the garage for keys although I don't know what they would look like. We've never used one before. I try to get in a window, but no luck. I find a ladder, but I'm too short to reach it.
My only other idea is to go searching for help. Our dear friends the Foxes live down our street, and seemed like the best option. Who's not home on Saturday morning at 8:30? So I start my short jog, even though exercising was not on my to-do list. Did I mention I was still wearing my pjs? Aaah, but I found rubber boots which was helpful since it was drizzling. And, I found 2 of Chris' shirts in the garage from the last hunting trip. I'm so glad it was only 40 degrees that morning. I reach the Foxes out of breath, and in my PJs and lovely rubber boots, and explain the situation. Brad offers to help of course, and I show him where the ladder is and that I THINK a window on the second floor MIGHT be unlocked. Brad is able to climb in and unlock the door. Hooray!! I thank him and get inside to see what the little stinker has been up to. She hadn't really gotten into anything, other than a box of crayons I found strewn all over the pool table/school room. She didn't even color on the wall. 5 minutes later the guys pull up in the drive way. I open the window from upstairs to ask if they shot anything. His only response: "What's the ladder for?"
3 comments:
Priceless! Glad all went well otherwise and nothing happened seriously to you or Cara. Note to self, might not want to do things without her unless maybe she is still asleep. LOL!
Great story and well written as usual. Miss you guys.
Great memory to share for years to come!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with Pam, always well written! Barb
Post a Comment